Several design solutions will be presented here in the very near future that will deal with obvious shortcomings of the initiatives being carried out right now on Toronto's downtown waterfront. But, to begin this process of making the downtown waterfront USABLE for millions of Toronto's residents - which will negate the busing of tourists, who will only spend 15 minutes in Toronto (this seems the only goal of the re-development of Toront's waterfront right now).
Naturally, the only real solution is to bring Dr. Jan Gehl to Toronto in order to initiate a design process that eventually will create a USABLE downtown waterfront in Toronto.
1. CITY OF TORONTO TAKES BACK THE OWNERSHIP OF THE DOWNTOWN WATERFRONT IN ORDER TO TURN IT BACK INTO A PUBLIC REALM - RATHER THAN THE PRIVATE CLUB IT HAS BEEN TURNED INTO.
2. SINCE BAD URBAN DESIGN (NO URBAN DESIGN) HAS ELIMINATED ALL SITE LINES TO TORONTO DOWNTOWN HARBOUR/WATERFRONT - THE WATERFRONT HAS DISAPPEARED VISUALLY (OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND). PUBLICIZE IN MAJOR CAMPAIGN "WE JUST TOOK BACK YOUR WATERFRONT". MAKE ALL T.T.C. TRIPS TO THE WATERFRONT 25 CENTS (HOW MANY RESIDENTS KNOW THAT THE UNION SUBWAY STOP HAS A STREETCAR CONNECTION TO THE WATERFRONT?).
3. CREATE THE FIRST PUBLIC REALM SPACE ON THE DOWNTOWN WATERFRONT (SINCE THERE IS NOT ONE MAJOR GATHERING SPACE ON THE DOWNTOWN WATERFRONT RIGHT NOW). HOW? TAKE OVER THE CAR PARKING LOT ON THE WATERFRONT (WHO EVER HEARD OF PARKING CARS DIRECTLY ON THE WATERFRONT?!) AND TURN THE PARKING LOT INTO A MAJOR SQUARE WITH MOVABLE SHADED SEATING AND A MAJOR PUBLIC TOILET FACILITY - WITH CHANGE STATIONS FOR BABIES AND WATER FOUNTAINS. KEEP HARD SURFACE (NO GRASS PLEASE!) EVEN THOUGH ASPHALT IS UGLY. NO CONCRETE PLANTERS PLEASE!
4. ADD 2000 SEATS - NO BENCHES.
5. START TO PUT TIRE CLAMPS ON ANY ILLEGALLY PARKED BUSES IN WATERFRONT NEIGHBORHOOD. BUS DRIVER OF ILLEGALLY PARKED BUS WOULD NEED TO GO UP TO TICKET INFRACTION OFFICE AT 401 AND PAY $200 TO HAVE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER DRIVE DOWN TO WATERFRONT AND REMOVE CLAMP.
6. GET RID OF VISUAL POLLUTION AT HARBOUR FRONT CENTRE BY REMOVING THE PERMANENT TENT CITY. YES TENTS NEEDED FOR A SPECIAL EVENT CAN BE BROUGHT IN FOR THE DAY AND THEN REMOVED.
7. MOVE THE "LIVERPOOL" BOAT DOCKING STATION AWAY FROM THE DOWNTOWN WATERFRONT.
More to come soon.